Friday 5 April 2013

Author Hot Seat Welcomes Lori King


The author hot seat specials are designed to help readers get to know some of today’s popular and up and coming authors a little better. The questions are broken into four sections - About your writing, about you, fun stuff and finally. Some of the questions are easy, other may need a little more thought and some may cause our author friends to hesitate before answering. Still, they all answer. 

Today we welcome back Lori King, who is obviously a glutton for punishment...lol. Lori has a new book out, Sidney's Triple Shot and I've designed a whole new set of questions since she previously sat in the hot seat. Let's see what Lori has to say this time around. As usual we have information about Sidney's Triple shot following the interview.

About your writing:

How many books have you written during your career so far and which is your favorite?

I have four books written and published so far: Fire of the Wolf, Reflections of The Wolf, Legacy of the Wolf, and this new one Sidney’s Triple Shot. Picking a favorite book, would be like picking a favorite child. Usually my favorite is my most recent work in progress because I’m caught up in the emotion of the story, and I love the getting to know you moments of learning my characters.

Have any of your books received negative reviews and how did you handle the criticism?

I have been lucky to receive very little negative criticism on my writing. When someone takes the time to share their opinion-good or bad-I try to take it as notes instead of critiques. I’m always trying to learn from other peoples input, and every new idea helps me grow as a writer.

Do you believe in writer’s block and if so, how do you overcome it?

Of course I believe in it, but for me it’s usually more of a writer’s hurdle than a block. I will walk away from a story for a few days and let it stew if I have trouble, or divert my attention to another work in progress. If that doesn't help, I’ll take some time to read some of my favorite authors. Usually that gets my muse talking again. J

What is the one genre you would never write and why?

A memoir or autobiography. I just don’t think that everyone needs all of the personal details of my life, so I can’t see myself ever doing that. And actually, I’m really kinda boring nowadays!

Have you ever written a book that you've regretted publishing and why?

No, and I’m not sure that I would. I spend a lot of time making sure my books are ‘right,’ before they even go to the publisher. Everything I’ve published I stand 100% behind.

If a reader said they wanted to write a book, what advice would you give them? 

Do it! Set a goal of 1k words a day, and after 30 days you are well on your way to a manuscript! I love to encourage creativity, and I think that there are masses of untapped creative geniuses in the world that just haven’t found their moment yet. Put the pen to the paper and get cracking!


About you:

Tell us what a typical day in your life is like?

I work during the day in the financial industry, and usually I’m home in the afternoons to work on whatever I need to for my books. I take a couple hours break from work in the evenings for family time with my three kiddos and hubby, and then I write for a couple of hours before bed. Working two careers can be trying, but it’s very fulfilling to have people enjoy my books.

What sort of things put you in a bad mood?

Not being organized! I have mild OCD and I am meticulous about having a routine. When my routine gets jumbled I get crazy!

Do you have a bucket list and what’s one thing you still want to do that you haven’t done?

Actually, publishing a book was one of the things on my bucket list a year ago, and now I've published four! I’m working my way through my list now, last year I checked off losing weight, publishing a book, and getting a tattoo. This year I plan to conquer my fear of flying, learn a new hobby (I’m thinking swing dance), and publish at least four more books. A big thing on my bucket list is traveling to Scotland and Ireland. I've always wanted too, but first I have to get over my fear of flight!

What makes you laugh?

My kids. They keep my life worth living. I can be in the worst mood ever, and my three year old will come running into my office to hug me, just changing my whole consciousness.

Do you like to read and what are you reading at the moment?

Reading is second only to writing. I LOVE to read. I read a novel in about 2 hours though, so for me telling you what I’m reading at the moment wouldn't help you. In just the last three days I've read the first four books of the Southern Vampire Mysteries Series-the books that inspired True Blood.

If you couldn't write anymore, what would you do instead?

Probably wither up and die! There are so many voice to text programs now, that I would hope that even if I lost my arms I would still find a way to write. If it wasn't an option, because I lost my creativity, I would enjoy being an English teacher I think.


Fun Stuff:

If you could go out with one famous person who would it be and why?

Alexander Skarsgard. I’m on a True Blood kick right now, and that man is delicious!

Do you have a habit that drives your partner/friends/family nuts and what is it?

They call it the “time warp.” When I’m working on a book I lose all track of time, and tend to even block out sounds. So they can be standing next to me trying to get my attention and I won’t hear them.

In your opinion, what makes a person attractive?

Confidence.

What is the strangest food you've ever eaten?

Barbecue cows tongue. Tastes just like roast beef, but getting past the fact that I’m eating something’s TONGUE was hard.

Would you rather have a classic 1969 convertible Mustang or have the use of a beach side condo any time you want?

The condo. I’m not much of a car person, but I love a vacation!


And finally:

Would you rather survive an apocalyptic event (yes, even a zombie apocalypse) or die instantly without knowing what happened to your family and friends?

            What a great question! I think I would rather survive the event.  Maybe it’s my writer side, or maybe I’m just nosy, but I wouldn't want to not know what happened to my friends and family. Plus, think of the stories I could write after surviving a zombie apocalypse!

Great answers, Lori and I must say I'd fight you for Alexander Skarsgard he is definitely delicious. So what do you think of Lori's interview and the book excerpts below? Also do you agree Alexander  Skarsgard is a good choice of date or would you pick someone else. Inquiring minds want to know :)


Lori's Links:

Twitter: @LoriKingBooks

Sidney’s Triple Shot


Sidney Rowe has been abused in ways that most people can’t even imagine.  After a horrific miscarriage, she left behind everything she had, to escape her ex-boyfriend.  She finds refuge in the kindness of the three Dawson brothers. They give her a job and a sense of security in the small town of Apache Crossing. 

Xavier, Tyce, and Noah Dawson, have built their bar, Triple Shot, into a profitable enterprise.  The three former Marines, have also built a reputation for integrity in the community, but their sex appeal and charm are legendary. They enjoy their playboy status…that is until a jumpy, skittish Sidney stumbles into their lives needing their help.

Sexual tension explodes when the brothers decide they want to protect and share Sidney, but to have her they have to stop her ex from haunting her. Can they keep her safe, and win her damaged heart?

Excerpt:

“I’m fine. I’m sorry I panicked,” she said, but her voice came out as a squeak. Reality came crashing into her like a tidal wave. She was sitting in Tyce’s lap, surrounded by the only other two men that had ever made her throb with desire, and she had their full attention. Xavier’s hands had just been running all over her body, making her skin tingle. Her anxiety ratcheted up as she tried to come up with a believable explanation for her panic attack. She looked up, and when Xavier’s eyes met hers, she instinctively dropped her gaze away from the intensity in those blue orbs.
“Don’t be scared. It was a pallet of supplies that got dropped when the loader’s hydraulics broke. No one got hurt, thankfully. We just have a bit of a mess in the back room to clean up.” Noah crouched down next to Xavier, taking her hands into his and drawing her attention. “Honey, why did it scare you so much?”
“Umm…I don’t know…I mean, I heard it, and I thought it was a gunshot…” She fidgeted for a moment, but froze when she remembered that she was still in Tyce’s lap. The thickness underneath her told her that he was very physically aware of her wiggling.
“A gunshot? Why would someone be shooting around here, Sidney?” Xavier’s question set panic building in her chest again, and she started to pull away from Tyce’s embrace without answering.
“No, Sidney, you can’t run away from us this time. What is going on? Are you in trouble?” Tyce pulled her back against his chest and pressed her head back down to his shoulder. Her whole body was trembling, and he kissed the top of her head, running his hand up and down her back. For an instant she wondered how it would feel to be held like this through the night. Comforted and cherished like something precious. She quickly discarded the fantasy and tried to refocus on the situation.
“Tyce, please let me go,” she said with a strength that belied the fragile state her emotions were in. When she turned away from him, she found Xavier still kneeling in front of her. He reached out and gently but firmly gripped her chin, forcing her to look him in the eyes.
“Want to tell us about Robert Wicks?” Xavier said quietly. Sidney felt like her lungs would never expand again. Terror trickled down her spine, followed by sadness that was so overpowering she had to close her eyes against their questioning looks. Like waves each emotion swept over her, leaving her breathless and closer to the edge of an irrationally emotional breakdown. She twisted away from Xavier’s grip on her jaw and jumped up from Tyce’s lap.
“No, actually I don’t. That’s my business, and I don’t need to share it with anyone. I’m going back out to the front to help Kara.” She reached the door before she felt hands on her. Noah’s firm body pressed against her back, and he wrapped his arms tightly around her. One arm was across her chest and the other across her hips, holding her immobile while he pressed a kiss to her ear. It was a beautifully sweet touch that made her ache to share her burdens with him. “Stop, honey. Whatever it is, you can talk to us,” he murmured against her ear, and goose bumps prickled across her arms. She couldn’t tell them about Robert, and she couldn’t let them get any closer to her. It was time to leave.
“Look, I’m sorry if I gave you all the wrong impression, but I don’t want or need your help. What I need is my privacy, and my paycheck. I will finish my shift and leave my uniform in the locker tonight. Clearly I can’t continue working here.” She held herself stiff until she felt Noah reluctantly release her, and then she threw the door open and walked down the hallway. She could feel the tingle of all three men’s eyes on her again until the door shut behind her. Straightening her spine, she fought off tears as she reentered the bar dining room. She wouldn’t cry for a man again. No matter how much she wanted to. 

1 comment: